CEO of Media Futures consultancy and media industry mobile expert Mark Challinor, recently shared what he called the five P must-knows of future mobile strategy building (for industry body, the International News Media Association). Here, he shares his thoughts on how to make the most of mobile in the current environment:
1. More mobile devices. Have you considered the impact mobile has in business? Are you mobile first?
2. Simpler mCommerce in all we do: memberships, subscriptions, offers, couponing etc.
3. Native/creative ad inventory will increase (including video). Video is booming on mobile. Do you use this channel?
4. Viewability/ROI is key. More accountability.
5. Ads will be more engaging/blending (native).
6. People-based marketing (not devices) with better experiences.
7. New mTech rises (AI, AR, VR). Learn about them.
8. Data from “things”. From home refrigerators to our mobiles and smart speakers, all of our devices will be connected, enabling closer relationships.
9. More linking to social media. Go where our audiences are.
10. Wearables. Watch out for clothing embedded with wifi and better smart watches.
Ways to “future proof” your mobile strategy include improving consumer relevance and putting mobile creativity as a dominant position in your advertising strategy.
Ultimately, the future is all about having a better user experience. Removing all of those annoying formats such as pop-ads, which should be replaced by native advertising that is creative and format-friendly. Take the most popular products, and make them easy to buy.
Setting clear targets and having incentives for sales people is important, and measure and compare to know what’s working. Develop an m-presence where your audience lives.
All of this funnels into customer loyalty. Understanding the future connected consumer is about understanding audiences, enabling those audiences, removing barriers to access, and being of service to the audiences.